Saturday, November 05, 2005

No Mind

WHY A POET

I don't really mind …
that I was assigned to bake a layer cake
with a recipe long proved incomplete,
and tasteless for all of that.

I no longer care …
that others only see the swirled frosting
and ordered placement of dainty rosebuds,
made of plastic and poison dye.

I am no longer bothered …
with instruction to look in a candy store
for rusting nuts and bolts and baling wire,
to hold my brief life together.

But I do mind a bit …
when I am so quickly judged perverse
for ordering key lime pie or ice cream
not found on the offered menu.

And do frown a might …
when told my only choices (lucky at that)
are 'tween dancing with sheep 'round a cesspool
or trudging with cockhold lemmings.

But I can still laugh …
for being a poet grants immunity
from excessive ridicule and punishment,
since you know that I am crazy.

2 Comments:

At 1:59 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I am very fond of your work when you adopt this style faucon.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger aletta said...

Riot, I must be crazy too Pistachia, rum'n raisin, lovely it flows and takes your mind along for a much needed break.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home