Friday, September 02, 2005

Sugar Skulls How To!

A Día de los Muertos altar without sugar skulls is like ....a mega let down! It's a must-have. Sure, you can be lazy and go buy pre-decorated skulls, but if really want to show your love go the extra step and make your skulls. It's the sweetest thing you can do for the one you love.

And for those of you who are hard pressed to find the supplies in your local markets, I'd try to Google them...the Molds anyway.

Anita Marie



Supplies:

1 set of plastic skull molds
Mixing bowl and spoon
2 cups of granulated sugar
2 teaspoons of meringue powder
2 teaspoons of water
1 piece of cardboard, approximately 5" x 5"
Mix the dry ingredients together in the bowl. Sprinkle the water in and continue to mix until the sugar is completely moistened and becomes the consistency of moist sand. Scoop some of the mixture into the mold and pack it evenly and firmly. Place the piece of cardboard on top of the mold and quickly flip it over so the sugar skull pops out. Very carefully slide it onto a flat surface.
Continue making the rest of the skulls. Let them dry for 24 hours in a dry place.


Icing:
2/3 cup of water
1/2 cup meringue powder
2 pounds of powdered sugar
Electric mixer
Concentrated food coloring (the kind professional cake bakers use)
1 pastry or Ziploc bag
Plastic cups
Spoon
Blend the ingredients with an electric mixer until the peaks form in the icing. If using assorted colors, scoop the white icing into separate bowls and add a dab of different colored food coloring in each one. Mix again. Scoop the icing into the pastry or Ziploc bag (snip the corner for the latter). Continue until you have several bags of different colors. Keep sealed and refrigerated until use.

9 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Cool! Now if I can just translate some of these ingredients to Oz and find some moulds I will be ready for action. Maybe I will have to be content to papier mache something first.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Well, if you did Papier Mache you wouldn't get the calories!

Check the links I gave you, there should be some papier projects for Day of the Dead Decorations. If you can't find them, let me know.

Happy Haunting,
Anita Marie

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Fantastic. Thanks Anita Marie. I bet there are some moulds somewhere? Maybe a party place, Heather?

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

You are probably right Monika. We will have to go on a search one day and see what we can find. I am very excited about all of this because I can see, in my crystal ball, how wonderfully rich this year's Advent Calendar is going to be. No one will escape the House of Baba Yaga before the 'real work' is done. And you thought I offered free places. Snigger!

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Hm - would crushing meringues make meringue powder, Heather? What the heck, I'll try it - you can get anyhthing in chocolate moulds (including some unmentionable items) so skulls should be easy. I love that gold paint - i guess it's edible? Must try to find some. I reckon a cake decorator's, or even the Spotlight stores, would be able to supply the tools.
Can't wait to try some skull duggery.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

FYI
You'll probably find the M
meringue powder at bakery supply stores. If not let me know, I'll mail some in too you

Anita Marie

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Yeah the bakery supply stores could have it - if I knew where they were? I will check with my friendly baker. I am sure he will point me in the right direction.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love anything to do with Dias de las Muertas. Anita, there is a lovely women's adventure tour group in Seattle, Adventure Associates. I have done 2 trips with them. They do a trip to Oaxaca during the Days of the Dead--it is high on my list of things to save up for!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Karen, Keep me posted....

Anita Marie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home